Friday 28 April 2023

Chika Sensei's Japanese Sentence Correction Newsletter.

Chika Sensei's Japanese Sentence Correction Newsletter.

−−−

こんにちは、ちか先生です。
Konnichiwa, it's Chika Sensei.

Today I am going to share the homework correction quoted from my JLPT N4 course!
The student's sentence is not correct. Can you find the mistake?

[Student's sentence]

字がよく見えるために、めがねを買いました。

*じがよくみえるために、めがねをかいました。

[My correction]

字がよく見えるために、めがねを買いました。
→字がよく見えるように、めがねを買いました。
I bought glasses so that I could see the letters better.

ために indicates the objective of an action, so a volitional verb should come before ために. However, 見える (to be visible) is not something you do; therefore, you cannot use ために with 見える.

On the other hand, ように expresses the expectation of realizing an objective, so non-volitional verbs like 見える can be used with ように.

e.g.
うまく話(はな)すために、日本語(にほんご)を勉強(べんきょう)しています。
I am studying Japanese in order to speak well.

Volitional verb = what you will do.
What you will do is "speak(話す)", but not "can speak(話せる potential-form)"
So potential-form is not used before ために、but dictionary-form as an action.

うまく話せるように、日本語を勉強しています。
I am studying Japanese so that I can speak well.

ように expresses aims by describing ideal situations.
Since it represents a state, "can speak(話せる potential-form)"is used instead of the action "speak (話す)".

I hope my explanation helps you. 😊

−−−

Chika Sensei's Japanese Academy Website:


#Japanese #English #日本語 #英語 #LearningEnglish  
#LearningJapanese #日本語の勉強 #英語の勉強
#ChikaNihongoNewsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment